Materials For Kitchen Cabinet Pulls & Knobs
Just like the many different materials that you can select for your jewelry, cabinetry's jewelry (commonly known as its hardware) is available is all different kinds of materials as well. Not to mention an array of finishes, shapes and sizes.
When it comes to the appearance of your cabinet’s hardware, you should pay special attention to the theme of your kitchen. You want the hardware to accent the kitchen. You may actually decide that you would rather have the hardware blend in with the kitchen instead of making a strong statement. Either way, different materials will create their own unique look and feel.
Cabinet Hardware Material Options
- Chrome Plated: Creates a sophisticated, modern, retro look and feel.
- Brass: Creates a heavy feel with sharp details. Brass is usually yellow in color. Brass can also be used as a finish or coating for another material.
- Acrylic and Nylon: Synthetic plastic that offers a durable, wear resistant quality. Can be tinted to pretty must any color you can think of and is reasonably priced.
- Ceramic and Porcelain: A natural clay product with a durable finish. The finish is slightly transparent and generally glazed in a shade of white. It can be painted later on in an array of decorative designs. It offers an elegant appeal. Commonly used for country and farmhouse-style kitchens.
- Glass: Glass is extremely fragile so great care is needed to maintain the hardware.
- Pewter: Available in brushed and polished finishes. Generally used for Georgian/Traditional styled homes. Antique pewter will darken with time because it is an alloy of lead, but, modern lead-free pewter hardware will not. Lead-free pewter is also more durable than pure varieties.
- Resin: Primarily used for artisan items.
- Stainless Steel: Great choice for contemporary spaces.
- Wood: Wood is a material that can conform to a variety of kitchen styles. It is available both finished and unfinished in soft and hardwood varieties. Wood can also be used as decorative accents on metals and a base for hand-painted knobs.
- Zinc: Used as a base for a variety of decorative finishes.
Looking For More Information About Kitchen Cabinets?
Kitchen cabinets are a great investment in your home. You'll want to make sure you are choosing the right cabinets contractor for your new house and your budget. We offer Free Cabinet Price Quotes from local, top quality contractors.
Additional Kitchen Cabinets Reading